It was requested of me to do a post on coconut oil, and so I will! Thank you for the request, Amber Bambi! View the YouTube video here!
A little background about coconut oil, it is high in medium chain triglycerides which are a benefit to your hair, eyes, skin, metabolism, heart, and brain health. Coconut oil is also high in saturated fat, which helps your body to store nutrients! When used topically, it is a powerful moisturizer with an SPF of 8.
- Oil Pulling: Swishing a tablespoon of oil in the mouth for 5-20 minutes to aid in digestive health, oral health, and overall immune system improvement.
- High Heat Cooking: Safe for frying! One of the only oils to not become carcinogenic in high heat.
- Lotion/Moisturizer: Use with caution, as it may not be good for your specific skin, this is very hit or miss for people.
- Hair Oil: Apply sparingly to end to prevent frizz and fly aways!
- Butter Alternative: Can be used in place of butter as a fat source.
- Cast Iron Seasoning: Rub onto cast iron to season.
- Supplement for Metabolism: Eat a tablespoon 15-30 min prior to meals to boost metabolism.
- Personal Lubricant: Use a fractionated form (stays liquid) for a personal lubricant, or put regular coconut oil into a squeeze tube.
- Make your own toothpaste:
- Combine equal parts baking soda and coconut oil, and xylitol, peppermint essential oils, and/or stevia to taste. Store in an airtight container to keep good.